Tuesday, May 31, 2016

anticrastination

IMG_6678
Like a dying beast is the student abroad who realizes they only have a few weeks left in paradise. They become frantic, visiting everywhere they have not yet been, trying foods they have not yet eaten, and filling up their schedules until at last the fateful day arrives when they are left feeling, "if only I'd had more time..."

I'm not exactly a dying beast but I have definitely noticed a change in my own mindset as I recognize I am in the last leg of the trip. For myself, when my own tendency is to become frantic and desperate, the value of disciplined times of reflection are important. Especially while abroad I feel the metaphor of students as sponges is especially relevant. The difference between studying abroad and "normal" university life is that back in the homeland I am soaking in daily life and work and classes, which can get overwhelming at times creating the feeling of being a sponge under a running faucet that can only retain a portion of what being poured into it. Studying abroad is like being a sponge in front of a fire hydrant that has been ripped open and is gushing thousands of gallons of high pressure water. 
So if I'm not careful, if I don't intentionally spend time reflecting, pondering, journaling, and soaking in these experiences, I doubt I'd ever retain even half as much of this experience and my trip will soon become like the Temple Mount: a glittering, golden memory of the past growing smaller and fainter as it shines in the distance.

The end looming near in the distance (whoa, so dramatic) is also a wonderful incentive to get out and do things, go places, and check off those boxes (for those of you who make lists). A departure date reminds me my time is limited and with one year left at South Carolina this is an important observation to take to heart....
I have been busy these past few weeks with schoolwork (yes I do have school), projects, tests, and a few more Israeli holidays and its been a while since I've posted so I'd like to share some random cool things I've been able to do while most of you peeps have been kickin it for the summer (and pictures are worth thousands of words so):
IMG_6410
Israel's Memorial Day service at the Kotel (white: navy, olive: army, tan: air force)
IMG_6431
Super quality photo of fireworks which marked the beginning of Independence Day
So in Israel most holidays are celebrated from evening to evening (similar to the way Shabbat is set up) and so Memorial Day and Independence Day are back to back. Now there is much to be discussed about the fact that Israel has a solemn day of remembrance of their military followed immediately by an extravagant day celebrating their independence. I spent the start of Memorial day (evening of May 10) at the Kotel where President Rivlin and other ranking officials and politicians and religious men gave speeches (in Hebrew) culminating in singing the Israeli National Anthem. Israelis will tell you that everyone knows at least one friend or family member who has fallen in combat. This makes the day especially poignant and adds to the weight of the moment of silence when loud sirens sound across the country and the entire nation stands still, remembering. Independence day begins the evening of May 11 with fireworks and a party that fills the entire city of Jerusalem so that you can hardly walk down Jaffa Street without being sprayed by something similar to silly string or being hit over the head by these blow-up hammers. I spent the following day celebrating the day with some very generous Israeli friends who invited me to spend the afternoon at their BBQ. I ate some good meat, met some cool people, and did I mention I ate some good meat?

When Israel celebrates a holiday they don't mess around. 

Went hiking in the desert during a heat wave. Went swimming in an oasis. Slept under the stars alongside the mosquitos. Hiked up a couple cliffs. We had fun. Type 2 fun

Frisbee tournament in Bethlehem

Powerful grafitti at the wall

Spent two days in Bethlehem participating in an awesome Ultimate tournament put on by Ultimate Palestine. It was a wonderful experience from arriving in the city just as a Nabka demonstration was going by, to playing some frisbee with some wonderful, competitive, and kind people, to visiting the wall. Yom al-Nabka (meaning "Day of the Catastrophe") is held on the same day as Israel's Independence Day and it commemorates the hundreds of thousands of Palestinians who either fled or were expelled from their homes as a result of the events of 1948. The passengers on the train you see in the picture are refugees from different areas of Palestine.

All said, the frisbee was glorious.  The group was mainly Palestinians (with a few internationals and randomly like 5 people from Georgia #smallworld) and it was a wonderful balance of competition and sportsmanship and fun. To top it all off I got a sick T-shirt.
Funny how it only takes about 20 minutes to get to Bethlehem and yet it seems like a world away. 
IMG_6593
Made it up to the Temple Mount finally. Next step: get inside.
IMG_6596
Cats are still a thing. You'd think they'd grow on you... but they don't.
Am I in Paris?

Fire


Israel literally has a day for bonfires. Lag BaOmer basically celebrates a Jewish Rabbi who was a mystic and revealed something. Apparently boys aged 3 get their first haircut during this time, kids run around and try to collect the most sticks for their fires, etc... For most of the country its a day to have a giant nighttime picnic and make huge fires and eat Kosher s'mores. There were so many bonfires you could smell the smoke as soon as you walked outside. 
When Israel celebrates a holiday they don't mess around.
Oh and there's some sort of lights festival going on that makes it feel like Christmas. 


Israel is a land of contrasts (see above for case and point).
In contrast to the adventures above: I've also been enjoying classes here, in particular my "Art and Science of Negotiation" class where we actually negotiate through certain simulations and exercises. Super useful and interesting learning the Israeli way of negotiating and one good observation has been,
"Israelis start with no and work their way to yes; Americans start with yes and work their way to no"
Coming from the south, where everyone says yes before they say no and where everyone's favorite restaurant says "my pleasure", I don't think I've ever heard "no" mean "maybe" so much. Be prepared America. I'm being trained to not take no for an answer so who knows what I'll be able to do now.
Welp, if you've made it this far thanks for following along and mulling over my musings. No, this isn't my last post, but I thought I'd say thanks.
If you have any questions for me about my time here feel free to comment or send me a message or write it down and as me when we hang out and you buy me food (wow, what a great idea Nathan I'm definitely going to do that now!)
ALSO, its not too late to visit! haha

No comments:

Post a Comment